Subject: Re: Problems updating tnftp-20050625 to tnftp-20050625nb1 (work-around
To: Volkmar Seifert <vs@nifelheim.info>
From: Volkmar Seifert <vs@dimensionv.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 07/27/2007 10:13:53
--------------enig3764A3DE354FF486F5FEAC15

I should probably append that I was installing from a current pkg_src, cv=
s-update is done
every night at around 23:00 CE(S)T, and as of this writing, the problem s=
till existed.

Volkmar Seifert wrote:
> Hello all,
>=20
> Yesterday, I updated parts of my NetBSD 3.1 System on my UltraSPARC.
> When attempting to update tnftp, it failed, stating
>=20
> Package `tnftp-20050625' is marked as not for deletion
>=20
> and failing to install.
>=20
> I tried to manually pkg_delete it, as suggested by the error-message, b=
ut only to read the
> message above again.
>=20
> To have it installed, I tried
>=20
> # make do-install
>=20
> but that did not update the pkg-db.
>=20
> So I experimented a bit.
>=20
> First, I tried
>=20
> # pkg_delete -N tnftp-20050625
>=20
> but that didn't change anything, tnftp still failed to install, so I tr=
ied
>=20
> # pkg_delete -O tnftp-20050625
>=20
> This time, it did not bring the above message anymore, but told me, tha=
t tnftp was already
> installed with this version. A make update, make reinstall as well as a=
 make install failed.
>=20
> After that, I tried
>=20
> # pkg_delete -fN tnftp-20050625
>=20
> Which resulted in the following messages:
>=20
> Package `tnftp-20050625' is marked as not for deletion
> Deleting anyway
> original MD5 checksum failed, deleting anyway: /usr/pkg/bin/ftp
>=20
> I tried
>=20
> #make update
>=20
> again, and viola - this time it worked.
>=20
>=20
> How "dangerous" is the use of -f in this case, where an old package is =
replaced by a newer
> one? I think, there should not be any risk involved, but I don't know t=
nftp very well and
> even less which packages depend on it.
>=20
> And since this is just a workaround, may be someone can come up with a =
real fix for this?
>=20

--=20

MfG / best regards
	Volkmar Seifert

 "Programming today is a race between software developers, striving to
  build bigger and better idiot proof software, and the Universe, trying
  to produce bigger and better idiots.
  So far, the Universe is winning."

  GPG-Key ID:         0xE97E64B2
  GPG-Fingerprint:    45AE 9258 C0B2 2F8D D529  3978 5283 3FD1 E97E 64B2