Subject: Building software on Interix, GCC's -fpic, and mixing binary/source packages
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: micah r l <micahrl@gmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 07/02/2007 20:09:55
------=_Part_72586_20759650.1183424995992

I'm using Interix 3.5 on Windows XP Home[0] SP2.

I'm having trouble building packages on Interix. Many packages build fine,
but some require GCC. Those that do will attempt to build gcc, and then fail
with "/usr/pkgsrc/lang/gcc/work/.wrapper/bin/gcc: Interix GNU cc doesn't
support `-fpic'."

This even happens for perl, which I am specifically admonished to install in
the pkgsrc guide. There is a binary package for Perl on ftp.netbsd.org, but
I can't seem to build my own. Why is this?

This actually brings me to another problem I'm having - I have perl
installed from the aforementioned binary package, but when I try to compile
Eterm from pkgsrc/x11/eterm, it tries to compile perl again. It says "=>
Required installed package perl>=5.8.3nb1: NOT found", but /usr/pkg/bin/perl
-v reports "This is perl, v5.8.8 built for i386-interix3-thread-multi".
What's going on here?

Is there a way around these things? I feel like I must have missed
something, but I've looked and looked and I'm not able to find a solution.

 - Micah

[0] Yes, really: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/h/2883

------=_Part_72586_20759650.1183424995992

I&#39;m using Interix 3.5 on Windows XP Home[0] SP2.<br><br>I&#39;m having trouble building packages on Interix. Many packages build fine, but some require GCC. Those that do will attempt to build gcc, and then fail with &quot;/usr/pkgsrc/lang/gcc/work/.wrapper/bin/gcc: Interix GNU cc doesn&#39;t support `-fpic&#39;.&quot;
5.8.3nb1: NOT found&quot;, but /usr/pkg/bin/perl -v reports &quot;This is perl, v5.8.8 built for i386-interix3-thread-multi&quot;. What&#39;s going on here?<br><br>Is there a way around these things? I feel like I must have missed something, but I&#39;ve looked and looked and I&#39;m not able to find a solution.

------=_Part_72586_20759650.1183424995992--