Subject: Re: Building subprojects from a source archive
To: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 06/04/2007 08:05:31
--=-=-=

Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com> writes:

>    pidgin (http://www.pigdin.im) is split into three parts, though in
> one source tarball:
>
>    - libpurple 0.0.1, which is the actual instant messenger (a backend)
>    - pidgin 2.0.1, a gtk ui for libpurple
>    - finch 2.0.1 (?), a console ui for libpurple
>
> [trimmed]
>
>    Anyway.. My next problem is that libpurple can be built alone by
> passing --disable-gtkui and --disable-consoleui to the configure script.
> However, in the pidgin and finch packages, it is not possible to only
> build the clients. I am not familiar with autoconf (though I am trying
> to learn). I noticed that subprojects contain Makefile.in and
> Makefile.am files, and the configure stage does seem to generate quite
> "standalone" Makefiles in the client directories.

The way from FreeBSD should be doable, and another way is to patch the
top-level Makefile.{am,in} so that it only has SUBDIR of what you want.
The difficulty may be that gaim expects to link against the libraries
From=20the build tree.  It's probably appropriate to file a bug upstream
that there isn't a configure argument to disable the libraries.

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--