building packages with a mix of source and precompiled packages?

Sometimes, when I'm building a package, pkgsrc recompiles build-time
only packages even though there's a current installable tarball in
packages/All. This may happen because packages/All was populated via
pkg_comp; when I bring stuff forward, I use 'pkg_info -u' to specify
only the leaf packages I want installed.  Other things may be installed
if they're needed at run-time, but build-time things -- autoconf, etc.
-- are not installed.  When I build new packages, I'd like to install
the already-built versions instead of recompiling.  Is there any way to
do that?