Re: enigmail

Tobias Nygren wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2007 01:34:43 +0200
> Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

>> Hello all,
>>
>>    Let's say I would want to add enigmail (http://enigmail.mozdev.org)
>> to pkgsrc.. What would be the best way to do that?
>>
>>    It requires the thunderbird sources, so it's best to build while
>> thunderbird is being built.
>>
>> It is possible (or heard of) to add a configuration parameter like:
>>
>> PKG_OPTIONS.tb_plugins=enigmail
>>
>>   ..which would cause the enigmail plugin to be installed as thunderbird
>> is being build.
>>
>>    The same would go for gaim-latex, etc.
>>

> If possible, i think it's better to make them separate packages.
> Even if it means you have to build the entire thunderbird again just
> to get a couple of plugin files which you install manually.
>
> -Tobias

Hi,

The only issue I see here is that the last time I looked at this it's
not only the thunderbird source you need access to:

http://enigmail.mozdev.org/source.html

According to this document thunderbird needs to be compiled first before
you can build enigmail.  A separate package could mean that you would
have to do one build to get thunderbird up and working and then
_another_ build of thunderbird just to get enigmail compiled.  Knowing
how resource/time hungry this can be having it as an option to the
thunderbird package may seem the smarter way to go.

Although personally I would actually like to see it as a separate
package.  Also in terms of people who exclusively use binary packages
I'm sure they would appreciate having a separate enigmail package as well.

I did try this before and it worked like a charm if you follow the
instructions on the enigmail site.  It's just really a matter of
choosing the 'best' way to package it.

adrian.