Re: popt is evil on 64-bit

Jan Danielsson wrote:
   So, that's the problem. libpopt installs itself into /usr/pkg/lib64,
while everything else seems to be expecting it to be where all other
libraries are (i.e. /usr/pkg/lib).

   IMHO, since this is a 64-bit system, it makes more sense to place all
the "native 64-bit" libraries in /usr/pkg/lib, and in case I would
install a 32-bit library, they would go into /usr/pkg/lib32.

   I'm guessing this is all popt's fault for not installing itself where
everyone else expects.

To avoid these problems, I usually install some directories with permissions 000:

cd /usr/pkg
umask 777 # never tried that before, but it works. :)
mkdir doc lib/locale lib32 lib64 ...

Roland