Subject: Re: Documentation quality of pkgsrc
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher <stefan@net-tex.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 04/25/2007 18:22:08
--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

Also sprach Jeremy C. Reed (reed@reedmedia.net)
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Ulrich Habel wrote:
>=20
> > For example:
> >=20
> > The documentation didn't mention the scripts mkbinarykit or
> > mkbootstrapkit - do you know what they are for? (yes, I know it -
> > thanks)
>=20
> mkbootstrapkit has been removed. It was a script to make a source=20
> bootstrap kit.
>=20
> Yes, mkbinarykit should be documented.

It's a common problem that tools, libs or whatever are submitted and
work fine, but are not documented.=20

In my opinion, there should be a rule that new programs or libs etc.
should also be documented.=20

A *good* man page might be sufficient for this as a first base.
To read the source code is not an option.

However, having no docs makes a good tool useless for most users, so a
policy for docs is required.

--=20
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE  0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
http://www.net-tex.de                                =20
http://www.cryptomancer.de
--=20
Jeder wird als Faust geboren, um alles zu erfassen, alles zu erproben, alle=
s=20
auszudr=FCcken. Da=DF Faust Gelehrter wurde, daf=FCr sorgten die Fehler sei=
ner=20
Vorg=E4nger und seiner Zeitgenossen.=20
Boris Pasternak, Doktor Schiwago

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq