Re: gnome versus dbus?

wa1ter%myrealbox.com@localhost writes:
> exec dbus-launch gnome-session
> Otherwise gnome-settings-daemon would crash on startup

I've seen that too. gnome-session tries to start a dbus
session, but the child process dies from a "broken pipe"
early. Appearently the protocol to pass information on
startup has changed.
It is much easier to use the tools provided by dbus to
do the session startup. Debian/Ubuntu does that too, so
I suspect that the internal startup code is not well
maintained.
That's why I've changed the gnome session startup in the
default gdm config file when I did the update to 2.18,
see pkgsrc/x11/gdm/patches/patch-aa.

Are there more default startup scripts in pkgsrc which
should be modified?

gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost writes:
> /usr/pkg/libexec > dbus-launch ./gnome-settings-daemon
> and it started and my foot and logout icons came back and fonts got more
> normal....

This might be able to recover the settings stored somewhere and
apply them, but likely other processes are not able to contact the
new daemon and tell changes. (didn't try)
dbus uses environment variables to tell the dbus deamon instance
to use to potential client processes. The failed startup from
gnome-session leaves a junk dbus address in the environment.
You could try to call "dbus-monitor" from a terminal window.

best regards
Matthias