pkgsrc and local source code, no distfiles

Has anyone got any experience of using pkgsrc where the application source code for each package is in the same repository as the pkgsrc infrastructure, rather than being downloaded?

I'm looking at using pkgsrc to build and deploy packages for locally developed (Perl) code. So the repo structure for a single application would look something like this:

  app/
      Makefile
      DESCR
      PLIST
      work/
           app/
               Makefile.PL
               bin/
                   app
               lib/
                   App/
                       Foo.pm

So pkgsrc doesn't need to run any of the fetch, checksum, extract, or patch phases, just build, install, and produce a package. The clean phase would need appropriate modification too.

I imagine this is going to need a few changes to the .mk files to accomplish. Has anyone done anything like this before? Would patches to incorporate this functionality back in to pkgsrc be appreciated?