Subject: Re: Solaris and AMD64 support
To: Ernesto Bascon <ebasconp@gmail.com>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn@NetBSD.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 04/05/2007 11:30:13
Ernesto Bascon wrote:
> Hi everybody:
>
> I've read a blog about hacking pkgsrc and a Solaris Express
> installation in order to have native AMD64 applications deployed on
> Solaris using pkgsrc:
>
> http://perso.enst.fr/~dauphin/pkgsrcmywork/
>
> There are two problems the dauphin's patches solve:
>
> * When you ask uname -p , the system replies with a x86, x86pc instead
> of x86_64 or amd64.
> * When you compile something using gcc, the resulting binary is a 32
> bits binary instead of being a 64 bits binary.
>
> I have modified my system following the patches described in the URL
> above and they work perfectly (well, ok, there are a lot of problems
> trying to install something big like meta-pkgs/kde3 but I think they
> are package specific problems).
>
> Are these patches merged on pkgsrc? Is there some official workaround
> about the amd64 support on opensolaris with pkgsrc?
>
> Regards,
>

> Ernesto

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in porting pkgsrc.
I suspect Gilles is as eager as you to get this into official pkgsrc :)

I'm not really qualified to comment, having no solaris/x86 experience,
but:
Does the "bootstrap patch" assume in any way that the base system has
been altered? For example renamed compilers/libs as described above?
Would it be possible to move some of those checks into bsd.prefs.mk or
the mk/compiler/* framework? That is the place where ABI issues should
be handled to the greatest extent possible, IMO.
You can for example put the correct compiler into the compiler driver
script that the compiler framework generates.

-Tobias