Subject: Re: problems with kde, xorg, and (perhaps) 4.0beta2
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Mark Davies <mark@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 04/02/2007 09:38:39
On Mon, 02 Apr 2007, you wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:15:46 -0400
>
> "Blair Sadewitz" <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A while back I filed a PR about the /tmp/.ICE-unix thing.  The
> > workaround is actually the solution AFAIK; see
> > x11/kdelibs3/MESSAGE.
>
> I moved my code to do that to /etc/rc.conf.d/kdm.  Perhaps it
> should be in /etc/rc.d/kdm?

I put the MESSAGE in rather than putting something in rc.d/kdm or
somewhere else as I don't understand under what circumstances its
explicitly needed and when not.  I have never had to explicitly do it
in any of my setups but clearly some other people do.

> > Re: TLS; I don't know if there's an option for this, but maybe
> > you could use gnutls instead?
>
> I have no idea how to do that with kde.

TLS is working for me from kmail.  I use it every day (talking to
dovecot on a 4.99.9 box).

> > Modular Xorg in pkgsrc nearing the point where you might consider
> > using it in production; have you considered an upgrade path yet?
>
> It doesn't support X servers yet, a requirement for that machine.
> Nor is it a machine I use (and hence can work around problems
> with), so I'm unwilling to put experimental software on it.

The X servers are the only bit of modular Xorg that I'm using at the
moment, though I am contemplating making the switch to fully modular
X soon.

cheers
mark