Re: net/netcat6 and !inet6

On 3/25/07, Adrian Portelli <adrianp%stindustries.net@localhost> wrote:
Jukka Salmi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some months net/netcat6 was [1]changed to require `inet6' because
> (according to the CVS log message) "you *can't* disable IPv6 in
> netcat6".
>
> However, netcat6 works fine without IPv6; I just built it (`./configure
> --disable-ipv6') on a NetBSD 3.1_STABLE system which was built with
> MKINET6=no and runs a kernel without `options INET6'.
>
> IMHO net/netcat6/options.mk should be reverted to rev 1.1. Any comments?
>

> Regards, Jukka
>
> [1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2006/11/28/0010.html

I just tested r1.1 of options.mk on a NetBSD 3.x system that is IPv6
enabled with a -inet6 in my mk.conf.  By the looks of it netcat6 honors
this and installs the nc6 binary with IPv4 support only.

I'm sure tv@ had a reason for doing this though . . .

IIRC, it requires definitions for AF_INET6, inet_ntop(), and
gethostbyname2() even if you do something like --disable-ipv6.  I
can't remember the exact reason, and my pkgsrc tree is currently in
limbo (as I'm waiting for Panix to increase my Xen disk space
allotment so I can pull down a tree again).

That said, what's the point of netcat6 without... ipv6?

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv%duh.org@localhost> <tv%pobox.com@localhost>
<todd%vierling.name@localhost>