Re: graphics/xv fails to build on macppc

"Loic Hoguin" <essen%dev-extend.eu@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 12:40:04 +0100, Matthias Scheler
> <tron%zhadum.org.uk@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> I would recomment not to use this unmaintained and insecure program.
>
> Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.
>
> Shouldn't it be removed if that's the case?

This is a difficult call.  I agree with the advice not to use the
program, but pkgsrc exists to make it easier for someone who does want
to use some program to do so.

>> "graphics/gqview" or "graphics/imagemagick" provide much better
>> alternatives.
>
> I don't see any "graphics/imagemagick" package. But "graphics/gqview"
> will do, although I'll probably use the gtk1 version (depends on the
> speed of the gtk2 one).

See pkgsrc/graphics/ImageMagick (note caps).

I use pkgsrc/graphics/gqview-devel to view/sort/delete images, and it
is fast on a T60 (Core Due T2300 with 2 GB ram, though), and way
better than xv on a Thinkpad 600E (367 MHz PIII with 192 MB).  After
startup, the main delay seems to be due to reading 3 MB JPGs from
disk; it does prefretch one image.

gqview-gtk1 appears ancient, and may well have problems.  I realize
that some people like to use gtk1 because it's faster, but it seems it
is no longer maintained.