Re: How to dramatically speed up firefox without rebuilding anything

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > I don't see any discussion of this issue in
> > pkgsrc/www/firefox2-gtk1/DESCR.  How do I know whether
> > or not I should be using the gtk1 version?
>
> Gtk1 doesn't use Pango because it was created for Gtk2. It has a number
> of other areas where it is faster.

Then I'd suggest a note in the pkgsrc/x11/gtk*/DESCR files, and/or the
pkgsrc/*/*-gtk*/DESCR files, saying "gtk1 is likely to be faster than
gtk2, but will not have [summary of missing features]."

More generally, when we offer multiple variants of a package, it would
be nice to offer information to help users choose which version to
install.  In the absence of useful information or painful experience,
I usually just choose the package with the simplest name (no -gnome or
-gtk* or similar name components), or the package that is automatically
brought in as a dependency of something else.

--apb (Alan Barrett)