How to use binary packages on secondary systems?

Hi guys,

New to NetBSD and really liking it. I've run OpenBSD since 3.8 and I now have
desktop machines running FreeBSD 6.2 and NetBSD 3.1 as well. I'd personally
like to see NetBSD's pkgsrc used for all of FreeBSD and OpenBSD's ports as I
think it's a much better system.

I installed NetBSD 3.1 and built a lot of binary packages. I would have built
everything with "make package" but I didn't figure it out until after I had
installed a few big packages with make && make install.

I want to be able to use the binary packages I built on system A on a new
system B. I rsyncd /usr/pkgsrc/packages/ to system B but usually when I change
to the directory of a specific pkg and do make bin-install on system B, it
tries to go to some IPV6 URL as if my packages don't exist even though it shows
that /usr/pkgsrc/packages/All is in the path. A few packages it did find and
installed them very quickly, so it does work sometimes but I can't see what's
causing the make bin-install not to work at other times.

I find it works much better when I cd to /usr/pkgsrc/packages/All and do
pkg_add pkgname.tgz. If there isn't a preferred way I may continue with this.
One thing that doesn't seem optimal here is that the dependency tracking seems
to be affected. For example, I got a few warnings which said "dependency
changed to reflect manual installation" or something like that.

I had a long look at the pkgsrc user's guide but I didn't understand how pkgsrc
and packages are intended to be used when building packages on one system and
then distributing them to secondary systems. My intention is to build them on
my fastest machine and then send them round my LAN to other machines so that
everything will be at the same level. I don't want to disturb the dependency
tracking. And I prefer to rsync the packages rather than running FTP or NFS.

So here's my enquiry in a nutshell: what is the proper way to use binary
packages built on one system, on another system? (Both are x86. Hope to be
running the macppc port soon also)

Thanks,
Rand