Subject: How to use binary packages on secondary systems?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: The masked-coder known as Randux <randux@Safe-mail.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 02/28/2007 17:58:32
Hi guys,

New to NetBSD and really liking it. I've run OpenBSD since 3.8 and I now have =
desktop machines running FreeBSD 6.2 and NetBSD 3.1 as well. I'd personally =
like to see NetBSD's pkgsrc used for all of FreeBSD and OpenBSD's ports as =
I think it's a much better system.

I installed NetBSD 3.1 and built a lot of binary packages. I would have built =
everything with "make package" but I didn't figure it out until after I had =
installed a few big packages with make && make install.

I want to be able to use the binary packages I built on system A on a new system =
B. I rsyncd /usr/pkgsrc/packages/ to system B but usually when I change to =
the directory of a specific pkg and do make bin-install on system B, it tries =
to go to some IPV6 URL as if my packages don't exist even though it shows that =
/usr/pkgsrc/packages/All is in the path. A few packages it did find and installed =
them very quickly, so it does work sometimes but I can't see what's causing =
the make bin-install not to work at other times.

I find it works much better when I cd to /usr/pkgsrc/packages/All and do pkg_add =
pkgname.tgz. If there isn't a preferred way I may continue with this. One thing =
that doesn't seem optimal here is that the dependency tracking seems to be =
affected. For example, I got a few warnings which said "dependency changed =
to reflect manual installation" or something like that.

I had a long look at the pkgsrc user's guide but I didn't understand how pkgsrc =
and packages are intended to be used when building packages on one system and =
then distributing them to secondary systems. My intention is to build them =
on my fastest machine and then send them round my LAN to other machines so =
that everything will be at the same level. I don't want to disturb the dependency =
tracking. And I prefer to rsync the packages rather than running FTP or NFS.

So here's my enquiry in a nutshell: what is the proper way to use binary packages =
built on one system, on another system? (Both are x86. Hope to be running the =
macppc port soon also)

Thanks,
Rand