Subject: Re: pkgsrc/*/nas requiring perl headers at runtime?!
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 02/15/2007 23:26:06
On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 10:35:02PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Mark Davies wrote:
> >> 	DEPENDS+=
> >>p5-perl-headers-${OS_VERSION}{,nb*}:../../devel/p5-perl-headers
> >>
> >>this results in binary pks that need that package _at runtime_.
> >>Which is currently not available for 3.1/i386, and I wonder if
> >>there's a good reason not to change this from a DEPENDS to a
> >>BUILD_DEPENDS?
> >
> >nas installs auscope which is a perl script which uses sys/socket.ph
> >so the requirement on p5-perl-headers (and perl).
> >Could probably split that script out to a separate package.
>
> If it's not critical and can't be done otherwise, I vote for that.
>
> Right now we don't upload the p5-perl-headers binary package to the FTP
> server, and there's so much stuff that breaks due to that missing
> dependency it's not fun (KDE, SDL and everything that needs it, ...).

Actually I think the NO_BIN_ON_FTP for this package could be removed,
binary backward compat should work as with any other package here.
The comment says:
# Since this package will be named, for instance, p5-perl-headers-1.5.1,
# binary packages on a FTP server (where only "1.5" is used as the directory
# name) will be ambiguous.  A user of 1.5 may mistakenly install the
# perl-headers-1.5.1 pkg by use of the automatic "best version" logic.

I think this is no longer true, and I've had no issues installing
p5-perl-headers-3.1 on 3.0_STABLE to 3.1_STABLE systems (or even 4.99.x)
Would anyone object if I remove the NO_BIN_ON_FTP for this package ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>