Subject: Re: firefox-bin-flash and opera-plugins not working
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Onno van der Linden <o.vd.linden@quicknet.nl>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 02/05/2007 23:40:22
On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 09:14:10PM +0100, Juan RP wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 19:40:42 +0100
> Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 03:29:35AM +0900, Shigeki UNO wrote:
> > > Here it is.
> > > http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/nspluginwrapper
> >
> > I've been using it for a while, and it works great for me (on NetBSD
> > 3.1 and current).
> >
> > An additional advantage is that the flash (or any other) plugin runs
> > as a separate process, so if it crashes, it doesn't tear down your
> > entire browser session.  You only need to refresh the page to restart
> > the plugin.
> >
> > It's not trivial to package though, with one linux binary part and
> > one to be compiled from source part, and a symlink needed in /usr/lib.
>
> Thanks for the link Shigeki. I didn't know about nspluginwrapper until
> now :-)

After kicking myself for not reading Geert Hendrickx's message
more careful on sunday before mailing to this list, here's what
I did to make things better w.r.t. to flash and firefox on my computer:
1) make install in /usr/pkgsrc/www/firefox
2) make install in /usr/pkgsrc/multimedia/ns-flash
3) grab nspluginwrapper from the url mentioned earlier
4) compile and install
5) grab pluginwrapper-i386-0.9.91.2-1.x86_64.rpm from the same
   site and copy the binaries to the right directory
   (in my case /usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux)
6) Add LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/emul/linux/usr/lib:/emul/linux/lib
   to /usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer
7) nspluginwrapper -i /usr/pkg/lib/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Good news:
www.onbezet.nl no longer crashes the browser straight away
www.youtube.com shows movies without crashing halfway

Bad news:
no sound from www.youtube.com

you need libflashsupport.so to get OSS sound support
(NetBSD doesn't have ALSA, it only knows OSS)
https://svn.revolutionlinux.com/MILLE/RELEASE/mille-xterm/Mandriva/2006/devel/i586/libflashsupport-1.0-2098.i586.rpm
is where you get libflashsupport.so
extract the rpm and
cp libflashsupport.so /usr/pkg/lib/netscape/plugins

start firefox and I get

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
/usr/pkg/lib/netscape/plugins/libflashsupport.so
[Shared object "libssl.so.0.9.7" not found]

For my previous (non nspluginwrapper attempts) I had already
installed suse100_openssl:
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      15 Feb  3 08:30
/usr/pkg/emul/linux/usr/lib/libssl.so.0 -> libssl.so.0.9.7

So my question now is: how do I get sound ?
libflashsupport.so is just a library loaded by libflashplayer,
but it can't be handled by nspluginwrapper because it's no plugin.
Adding /usr/pkg/emul/linux/usr/lib:/usr/pkg/emul/linux/lib at
the end of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH declaration in /usr/pkg/bin/firefox gave:

$ firefox http://www.google.nl/
Memory fault (core dumped)

Oh well, off to bed.

Onno