Subject: location of user files in a package
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 01/18/2007 17:15:48
I have a question about some packages and where they store their
runtime, or user-configurable files. A few come to mind:

apache-tomcat - webapps directory is in /usr/pkg/tomcat/webapps
squirrelmail  - everything is in /usr/pkg/share/squirrelmail
php5          - PEAR modules are stored in /usr/pkg/lib/
ruby

etc. This doesn't seem right. Isn't it the `correct' practice to have
these files live elsewhere in the filesystem. Perhaps in /usr, /var or
something? That way we can share /usr/pkg or even delete it if we want
to really start from scratch without hurting any data.

Is there a way to have pkgsrc change the locations of these files at
compile time or would the packages themselves have to be reorganized?

Any help would be great; thanks.

Louis