Subject: Re: status of modular xorg?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 01/17/2007 01:58:23
On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 05:57:21PM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> What is the status of modular xorg?  Is it ready for near-production
> use? I'm putting some new machines together; I was wondering if I
> should start out using modular xorg instead of monolithic xorg.  (Is
> much energy going into monolithic xorg?  There's been a package
> vulnerability alert on it for several days.)

As my bulk building box is busy with modular Xorg, I didn't have a
change to fix the vulnerability. I'll add it tomorrow or so.

The state of modular Xorg is progressing. I currently count 5754 binary
packages for modular Xorg, compared to 6296 for 2006Q4/Xorg.

Before declaring it for public consumption, I want to finish the
conversion of the dependencies, which will need some more time and
afterwards the merge of the updates esp. for the libs.

In addition most of the apps still need to be packages as well the
various drivers.

The main reason why I didn't announce this so far is that I expect some
possible breakage from the updates and I don't want to force all users
through a recursive rev bump or so, those using modular Xorg already are
supposed to know what they are doing :-)

Joerg