Dealing with emacs mode files? (.el)

I'm packaging up some apps for pkgsrc-wip and had a question.

What should one do if a package comes with Emacs lisp files describing
some mode?  The few examples I've found (e.g., a2ps, cascade, wip/bashdb) place
them in ${PREFIX}/share/emacs/site-lisp, but with no *-dirs package.
Some, such as chat/zephyr-mode or wip/send-pr, actually have a
`@dirrm share/emacs/site-lisp' in their PLIST.

Brian.

--
  Brian de Alwis | Software Practices Lab | UBC | http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~bsd/
      "Amusement to an observing mind is study." - Benjamin Disraeli