Subject: Re: Update amsn
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Lieven De Keyzer <lieven.dekeyzer@gmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 12/28/2006 05:28:13
On 12/27/06, Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:
> > I notice pkgsrc contains a rather old version of chat/amsn. I'm
> > relatively new to pkgsrc, so I'm wondering if there exists a guide how
> > to update such a package. Do I alter the distinfo and PLIST files by
> > hand?
>
> Update the DISTNAME (and remove the PKGREVISION line) from the Makefile.
>
> Run the following to update the distinfo:
>
>   make makesum
>
> Do an installation. If you know that the do-install: step in the Makefile
> needs modification do so.
>
> After installing, run:
>
>   make print-PLIST | tee PLIST.new
>
> Compare:
>
>   diff -u PLIST PLIST.new
>
> Replace or manually update your PLIST as needed.
>
> Run pkglint (pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkglint) to see if it has suggestions.
>
> Make a diff:
>
>    cvs diff -u > my.patch

I followed all these steps and the package builds and installs nicely.
I still have one problem though: when I deinstall the package, I get:

pkg_delete: unable to completely remove directory '/usr/pkg/share/pixmaps'
pkg_delete: couldn't entirely delete package `amsn-0.96'

This is because the xine and pan packages also install files to the
pixmaps directory.