Re: python dev?

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 04:26, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 03:54:33AM +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> > The system owner can set the default version of python by setting the
> > PYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT variable in mk.conf. What is wrong with pkgsrc
> > providing a link from <prefix>/bin/python ->
> > <prefix>/bin/python<PYVERSION> as defined by the PYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT
> > variable?
>
> See pkgtools/pkg_alternative. It is suppose to provide that for
> *convience*.

Sorry to say, its not convinient for me.

> > This will work for the majority of python scripts and packages. This way
> > we only have to deal with packages that require a different version as we
> > do know. Isn't this a much simpler solution then having to modify and
> > keep track of hundreds of python scripts for every single py-* and other
> > packages that use python scripts?
>
> And how do you ensure that the default version or whatever version is
> choosen has the proper extension modules installed? How is the system
> supposed to complain if they don't exist or are removed? Why do you
> believe that the default version coded in the package is actually of
> the one a user wants to use by default? Think about binary packages -- I
> can and do provide binary packages for all Python versions supported by
> a package as long as they have different names. PYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT
> has few meaning when using those packages.
>
> That said, why I said "Kill the authors": GNU radio is a package which
> does not use the typical Python infrastructure (e.g. distutils). I would
> expect it to scan for the Python binary to use and install consistent
> scripts for that. A number of packages already do that and that is the
> correct approach. Not assuming that e.g. PATH contains it. That falls
> horribly apart e.g. when using a non-interactive shell started from the
> RC scripts. I consider such a reliance a bug, same for install/deinstall
> scripts.

What is a typical python infrastructure if there such a thing? GNU Radio
installs into <PREFIX><PYSITELIB>/gnuradio. Can you tell me how it differs
from py-distutils?

I'm almost at the point to give up on pkgsrc. In many cases I find it much
easier to take a third party package and install it into /usr/local
filesystem as its done by most distros.

Its beyond a joke... :(

cheerio Berndt