Re: Lightweight samba GUI? (packages or otherwise)

On 12/11/06, yancm%sdf.lonestar.org@localhost
<yancm%sdf.lonestar.org@localhost> wrote:
The recent discussion for lightweight window managers was very timely
as I have been resurrecting an old P2-266 laptop w/196M ram as a
NetBSD 4_Stable box for general use and testing.

This is my first forray into GUI/X land, but I have been using NetBSD
on my home network as a server for 7-8 years.

I need a GUI network file browser that can cooperate with several
WinXP boxes. I know that samba does the heavy lifting, but what
about a GUI? I searched the mail lists and guides, but did not
find anything promising. I also looked on samba.org and looked
for the GUIs they mentioned in pkgsrc, but came up empty...

So far, I have:

- Wireless networking (thanks to all the help I received from
  several folks and the re-fork of the 4_Stable branch that is now
  working!)

- The IceWM (I like that it looks a bit like w95 - my non-techie
  wife may not be afraid to use it.)

- Firefox 2 (with dependencies, this took a mere 20 hours to build
  natively!)

- xvnc viewer (we have a headless windows box that serves audio to our
  low power FM transmitter that can be heard throughout the house...)

- mplayer (haven't tested it yet, only took about 10 hours to build...)

Now I just need a network file browser GUI. What do folks use?
I noticed a gtksamba stub in pkgsrc/net (or /x11?) without
a makefile...is it a wip? Just abandoned or ?

Thanks,
gene

This is pretty untested, but you might want to consider using xfce
instead of icewm.  It will be easier for you to use/configure (i.e. it
has a gui configurator), is lightweight, and comes with xffm, which
include samba support.