Subject: Re: Severe performance issues with pkgsrc-2006Q3?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 12/06/2006 17:54:33
Hauke Fath wrote:
> Am 05.12.2006 um 19:49 Uhr +0100 schrieb Christian Biere:
> >> Rebuilding fontconfig caches with fc-cache (as root) turned out to be the
> >> required step to fix it.
>
> I tried that, but get a "/path/to/fonts/dir: failed to write cache"
> for each fonts directory fc-cache looks at. No clue from a ktrace
> what it wants to write, and where, and why it fails.

I'd use ktruss instead of ktrace but anyway just grep for errors. It possible
that you've configured to store that stuff elsewhere like /usr/pkg/var or
whatever.

> /var/cache/fontconfig is root:wheel, 755, and remains empty after a
> fc-cache run.

Well, I'd recommend using pkgsrc unprivileged instead of using the root
account. Anyway, is that with fc-cache emitting errors or after fixing
that?

> I added an explicit <cachedir> entry to /etc/fonts/fonts.conf,

Are you sure it's using that at all instead of, for example,
/usr/pkg/etc/fonts/fonts.conf? Indeed I have that file and in this
file there's the reference to /var/cache/fontconfig, it's not in
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf which exists as well. I never edited any of
those. It's XML, I'd remember that.

--
Christian