Subject: Re: Severe performance issues with pkgsrc-2006Q3?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 12/06/2006 17:33:40
Am 05.12.2006 um 19:49 Uhr +0100 schrieb Christian Biere:
>>  Rebuilding fontconfig caches with fc-cache (as root) turned out to be the
>>  required step to fix it.

I tried that, but get a "/path/to/fonts/dir: failed to write cache"
for each fonts directory fc-cache looks at. No clue from a ktrace
what it wants to write, and where, and why it fails.

>One problem with fc-cache is that it doesn't show useful error messages.

Yep. Plus, none of the options listed after --help are in the man page.

>had to trace it to see where it wants to write to. Apparently, it stores its
>stuff under /var/cache/fontconfig/*. So that should be world-readable and
>writeable by the pkgsrc install user.

/var/cache/fontconfig is root:wheel, 755, and remains empty after a
fc-cache run.

I added an explicit <cachedir> entry to /etc/fonts/fonts.conf, as
recommended in
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/browse_thread/thread/55cfe9fa26d0ffc5/c5e7a205514a5a8e?lnk=st&q=&rnum=2#c5e7a205514a5a8e
(Debian list, funny enough) - but no difference.

	hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
      Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-3281