Re: Severe performance issues with pkgsrc-2006Q3?

Christian Biere <christianbiere%gmx.de@localhost> writes:

> Hauke Fath wrote:
>> The machines offer KDE, Gnome, XFCE4 and your favourite window
>> manager as environment via gdm, but the problem seems to concern all
>> of them. As an example, when I log in to XFCE4, first opening of a
>> popup menu from xfce4-panel takes 15 sec on an AMD 700 MHz / 384 MB
>> RAM. During that time, system load is around 2, there are still > 100
>> MB RAM unused, there is disk activity, and xfce4-panel is busy
>> consuming cpu time. The next menu then appears instantaneously.
>> Similar under Gnome: A Gnome terminal takes around 15 sec to appear,
>> a KDE konsole 20 sec, and even an xterm needs 10 sec.
>
> Have you traced them? Font loading time is very likely the issue. My
> apps seemingly spent most and too much time at that step as well. Albeit
> it's not as horrible as in your examples.

I had trouble with gqview taking a long time to start up.  Rebuilding
fontconfig caches with fc-cache (as root) turned out to be the
required step to fix it.

But, xterm taking a long time doesn't fit this theory - it doesn't
AFAIK use fontconig.

Another thing to check is DNS, but that doesn't fully fit either.

--
    Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>