Re: pkgsrc on fedora seems to need /bin/(ba)sh replaced by /bin/(k)sh

Christian Biere wrote:

I suspect the uncalled for comment of a by-stander kind of provoked this
comment. Let me tell you, nvi from pkgsrc does not compile here on NetBSD
with GCC 4.1.2 at all.

my bad. I assumed it did. after all, the lvalue casts are all in one
file, dist/common/mem.h from what I can see. The gentoo fix looks applicable, thats what I intend submitting as a patches/ file.

> GCC created a mess by introducing the idiotic
concept of lvalue casts. They are just cleaning up their own mess. Don't
call them fascists, neither as a joke nor seriously.

oh dear. did I provoke a descent into godwins law? again, my bad. lets not go there.

> Most of these lvalue
casts are actually caused by accident in macros. I don't think anyone who
knows what he's doing ever used lvalue casts. Also GCC has emitted warnings
for such code for about one or two years.

um. Well, its in the 1.8x rev (since Keith Bostic) so I guess the other auther must be responsible. I wouldn't go casting assertions on Mr Bostic's coding skills...

-G