Subject: Gnome debugging
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 11/16/2006 14:30:52
Hi,

on to something else...

During one of the first runs of our pkgsrc-2006Q3 installation,
nautilus errored out[1] in a Gnome session. Now, they have this
{Netscape,Apple}-like bug reporter now, which popped up, asked me
what I was doing and proceeded to send a mail to the Gnome Bugzilla.

But, other than with its Bug Reporter predecessors, I actually got a
mail from a real Gnome developer about the problem, and he wanted
stack traces with debug information. Which I found understandable.

Now - is my impression correct that pkgsrc installs Gnome libraries
and binaries stripped? And is there a global switch (short of a 'make
CFLAGS="-g -O2"' to install Gnome - better, all of pkgsrc - with
debug information intact?

	hauke

[1] "System:Preferences:Font", Button "Details...", Button "Go to
font folder" --> Bug Reporter. Reproducible here.

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
      Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-3281