Re: Need Some Guidance

Kenneth Freidank <kennethcf%earthlink.net@localhost> writes:

> I am porting a package whose distribution file contains several
> tarballs within the single distribution file  Each tarball can be
> thought of as a separate component, one for documentation, one for
> system framework and api source, one for sample application.  What's
> the best way to fit the package into pkgsrc.  My current attempt is to:
>
> 1) create a package to install the distribution file "dist" to
> "/usr/pkgsrc/distfiles/dist" and unpack the distribution file into
> each of the separate tarballs, i.e. /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles/tarball1,
> tarball2, tarball3, etc...

This is not ok because packages should only install in prefix.  And
it's unnecessary.

> 2) create one package for each of the separate tarballs that will
> install each piece, user can pick and choose which piece is desired.

If there are separate tarballs available, just package each of them.

If there aren't (e.g., if you can only download a tar of the various
.tgzs, then just make a Makefile.common that sets DISTINFO, and then
add a do-extract: or whatever to extract the right subpart during
package build.

Basically, the approach  is to put in special code to make the package
conform to pkgsrc's norms as early as possible, and then treat it as
normally as you can.

Perhaps you can show us a list of 'ls -l' of the distfile, and of what
gets unpacked from it - I may not have understood you correctly.

--

    Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>