Re: [2006Q3][swi-prolog-lite] Cannot find -lgmp

Christian Biere wrote:
Nico, Ryoko et Anna wrote:
- first, while libgmp is installed on my system, it is not found when I
type 'make' in the pkgsrc/lang/swi-prolog-lite directory. The error
listed in config.log is 'ld: cannot find -lgmp'. I managed to work
around this issue by editing swi-prolog-lite/Makefile and adding an
.include line to point to gmp/buildlink3.mk. Thus libgmp is found when
building swi-prolog-lite. But this workaround is not satisfactory; I
would rather be able to install a full-blown SWI Prolog without having
to tickle Makefiles.

It's not a workaround. That's how pkgsrc works. The explicit reference
to the gmp package is required to keep track of the dependency. If
gmp is essential for it and it doesn't build without, the package
seems broken. You should just send-pr if nobody fixes this in response
to your mail
Thank you for your response. Re-reading the above, I find, too late, that I forgot to mention: the swi-prolog* packages do build and install. Sorry for leading you to a false impression. The fact is, these swi-prolog* packages under pkgsrc do not take advantage of libraries which extend SWI Prolog's functionality and which are available at least when building SWI Prolog from source on Linux (*not* with pkgsrc).

I'd like to ask: what is the reason for not using GMP nor multithreading in the swi-prolog-lite package ? Do they trigger bugs in SWI Prolog, or does SWI Prolog trigger bugs in them ? I have been on the SWI Prolog site but did not find bug reports related to using SWI Prolog on NetBSD.

Or is there some policy for pkgsrc to try and keep packages dependencies under a certain level, which could explain the situation ? Would it be possible to use some package specific options to allow conditional support for enhancements to these packages ?

Regards,

--
Nicolas