Re: X applications take long time to start

Am 18.10.2006 08:09 schrieb Joerg Sonnenberger:

Does running fc-cache (as root) fix it?

No. I tried it and got lots of "failed to write cache" message from fc-cache. I tried deleting the cache files which didn't help either.

But the error message lead me to a problem[1] of a pkgsrc user on Dragonfly BSD. The solution to problem was deleting

1) the fontconfig package (which is a bit annoying given the number of packages
       depending on it)

    2) /usr/pkg/etc/fontconfig/fonts.conf

    3) /usr/pkg/etc/fontconfig/fonts.dtd

and finally installing fontconfig again.

(I had installed my X11 applications via FTP, fontconfig got pulled in as a dependency and I seemed to have overlooked the message about deleting those files manually.)

But my X apps are fine now, thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Christoph

[1] <http://www.mail-archive.com/users%crater.dragonflybsd.org@localhost/ msg03747.html>