Subject: Re: [FreeWRT-users] Bootstrap on OS X
From: Philipp Riegger <lists@anderedomain.de>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 10/18/2006 23:53:43
On Oct 18, 2006, at 11:30 PM, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:

> Not yet. sorry.

Ok... can  do anything to help you?

> There is one big problem with MacOS X. The default root filesystem
> on MacOSX is normally HFS+ in case-insensitive mode.

I know. I don't really like it and i hate software that depends on
that (i had that one time, program writes "file" and reads "File")
but... since i come from the Linux people i like case sensitive
filesystems and i run my OS X on it and have it on all my OS X
harddisks.

> The Linux kernel source needs a case-sensitive filesystem.
>
> There are three options:
> - reinstall macosx on a case-sensitive HFS+ partition
> - use a usb disk or free partition to create a case-sensitive HFS+
>   partition for the buildroot
> - use a script to create a imagefile with a case-sensitive
>   filesystem

Creating the images is no big deal, you just have to know the
command. You don't need a script for that, usually 5-10 lines in the
manual are enough. I think, the pkgsrc manual describes how to do
that, if you want an example.

> The base system compiles fine on BSD. There are some packages which
> checks some Linux specific stuff, which do not let you cross-compile
> on BSD. (f.e. mysql)

Ok, that's nothing you can easily change, but no big deal as long as
you don't depend on the packages.

> We will try to finish MacOSX support for 1.1.

Ok. If i find some time and you provide me some help, i can try to
play around with it a bit. Is there some documnentation or something
like a roadmap online? Last time i looked i did not find anything.

And... before i try to bootstrap... which Accesspoint would you
recommend? I own a WRT54G v2, but i can't use it for that. I would be
interestes in something with WLAN, USB (2.0 if possible) and 2 or
more network ports.

Thanks,
	Philipp