Re: samba not registred in packages-database - HowTo update?

Am 10.10.2006, 15:29 Uhr, schrieb Takahiro Kambe
<taca%back-street.net@localhost>:

In message <op.tg7gk7gcreg0fs%aldi.feddersen.xx@localhost>
        on Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:20:57 +0200,
        "Thomas Feddersen" <thomas.feddersen%t-online.de@localhost> wrote:
after an update from samba-3.0.14anb1 to version 3.0.21a, samba is no
longer registred in the packages-database: "pkg_info" doesn't show
anything about samba and there is no corresponding entry in /var/db.

What have you done exactly?

I had samba-3.0.14anb1 installed from binary package. Jan.2006 I tried to update

# pgk_add -u 'ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/3.0/cobalt/All/samba

but the system couldn't remove the old package. Then I tried to update by compiling myself from pkgsrc, but

        # make install

failed, because an older version was already installed.

        # pkg_delete samba

didn't help either. Subsequently I removed everythng from /var/db that I could identify as pertaining somehow to samba (not very professional, I admit). Still I couldn't make install - sorry I don't remember the errormessage.
Finally I downloaded the then-current sourcecode from samba.org and

        # ./configure && make && make install

gave me a working installation, but didn't generate an appropriate entry in the packages-database. Now I'd like to get back on the track of updating via the package collection.

Regards
Thomas