Subject: Re: Handling obsoleted/renamed packages
To: None <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 09/19/2006 11:26:59
--=-=-=

      Yesterday, I upgraded from pkgsrc-2005Q2 to -current.  Running a
  pkg_chk now tells me:

     WARNING: No lang/perl58/Makefile - package moved or obsolete?

  Looking in pkgsrc/lang/perl58, all I have is a CVS directory.

'cvs up -P' and it will go away.

  There is a lang/perl5, which seems to be perl-5.8.  lang/perl58 was
  versioned at perl 5.8.6.

Yes, that's right.

  How do I rectify/resolve this situation ?  Would linking
  lang/perl58/Makefile to lang/perl5/Makefile be the preferred solution
  ?  Or maybe just link lang/perl58 to lang/perl5 ?

I expect both of these to cause trouble, but symlinking the
directories might work.  If you try it please let us know what happens.

The right fix is for pkgsrc to have a database of package renames and
have 'make replace' or 'make update' in lang/perl5 treat the existing
perl58 package as a previous version.

For now, you can 'pkg_chk -g', and edit the result to lang/perl5, and
then pkg_delete -r perl58 and then 'pkg_chk -a' with the config file.

=2D-=20

    Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--