Subject: possible regression with Xorg radeon drivers?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 09/05/2006 14:22:36
I've been using Xorg from pkgsrc for a month or so now, and I think I
have found a regression with the radeon driver, compared to XFree86.

mplayer is finding it very hard to 'keep up' with any video, any
format. trivial mouse/keyboard interactions cause it huge stutter.
Everything else is fine (in fact, better than fine: the radeon
multi-head stuff is just lovely. I really like Xorg)

If I run under vmware, the problem goes away. Likewise, running on an
XFree86 Server, with Xorg clientside is ok. -This is why I think this
is a server-side problem.

I'm on an IBM X-series laptop with a Mobility M6.

I'm loath to put in a send-pr on this right now, I think people will be
more focused on the release stuff. But I wondered if this is a known
issue.

cheers

-George