using ssl and pkg-config in a package

I'm trying to put together a package -- more accurately, I'm trying to
update a package -- that uses openssl.  The configure script uses
pkg-config to test for openssl; that test fails, presumably because
it's in the base system rather than a package.  What's the usual fix?  (Is
there one, short of a weird patch to the configure script?)  There is a
buildlink reference to openssl in the Makefile.