Subject: Problems with dbus
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Marco Righele <marco_righele@yahoo.it>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 08/29/2006 22:52:03
I'm trying get dbus to work on a mac mini (G4) running NetBSD-3.0.
The port compiles and installs correctly, but it seems that the system message bus doesn't work properly.
If I run dbus-monitor --system from a shell I get the answer

Failed to open connection to system message bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
I get the same message if I try to build dbus bindings, like dbus-glib.

The daemon (started with the 'dbus' script and the 'system.conf' file provided by the port) is running, and in fact, running the above command with debug enabled will show that there is some communication between dbus-monitor and the daemon.

Looking at the content of the debug output, I can see the following messages

7648: client: Sent 18 bytes of: AUTH EXTERNAL 30
..
7648: client: got command "REJECTED EXTERNAL DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1"
..
7648: client: Sent 32 bytes of: AUTH DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1 726f6f74
..
7648: client: got command "REJECTED EXTERNAL DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1"
..
7648: client: Shutting down mechanism DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1

On the server side, I can see something like the following:

27920: server: got command "AUTH EXTERNAL 30"
27920: server: Trying mechanism EXTERNAL
27920: server: data: '1001'
27920: server: no credentials, mechanism EXTERNAL can't authenticate
27920: server: Shutting down mechanism EXTERNAL
..
27920: server: Sent 36 bytes of: REJECTED EXTERNAL DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1
..
27920: server: got command "AUTH DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1 726f6f74"
27920: server: Unsupported mechanism DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1
..
27920: server: Sent 36 bytes of: REJECTED EXTERNAL DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1
..

So it seems that while the daemon says it supports both EXTERNAL and DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1, it is in fact unable to authenticate the client with neither of two.
Any idea/suggestion ?

Thanks,

Marco Righele