Subject: guile 1.8 - users of guile14, g-wrap1, guile-gtk? Please speak up!
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 08/28/2006 12:19:00
--=-=-=

Executive summary:

 1) rough plan for guile 1.8 migration

 2) list of packages that I think no one uses - speak up if you want
     them to stay

Details:

1)  guile 1.8 migration
I'm starting to plan for importing guile 1.8, once there's a 1.8.1
release that handles slib correctly.  (While there's a 1.8.0, it's
more of an alpha/beta than a release.)  The general plan is to make a
guile16 package that has guile 1.6, much like guile14 is, and update
guile to 1.8.  Thus guile-slib will become for 1.8.

From=20my asking around, most guile-using programs will be ok with 1.8.
For those that aren't, we'll point them at guile16.  We'll then need
to create guile16 flavors for things like guile-slib if they are
needed.

2) Partly to make this easier, and partly to prune cruft, there are a
   bunch of packages that are perhaps due for deletion.  Following is
   a list of everything with guile in the name and comments.

databases/guile-pg		(may not work with 1.8)
devel/guile-fcgi		REMOVE (uses 1.4, bits are from 2001)
devel/guile-gtk=09=09=09
devel/guile-lib
devel/guile-oops		REMOVE (only for 1.4, included in 1.6+)
devel/guile-slib
devel/guile-www 		(may not work with 1.8)
devel/guile14-gtk	     	REMOVE
lang/guile
lang/guile14			REMOVE
wip/guile-gnome			(move to real pkgsrc after upstream releases)
wip/guile-scsh			uses 1.6
wip/guilerxspencer		uses 1.6

(Some of this is from ttn, hosted at www.glug.org, and that's recently
in registration-expired status.  Affected packages are guile-pg and
guile-www.  This is mostly orthogonal to the obsolete/removal issue,
except that if people are using ttn's guile14 then perhaps guile14
should flip to that from FSF guile 1.4.  Speak up (to me privately if
you want) if so.)

    Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--