Subject: Xorg reporting XFree86-Bigfont extension: shmget() failed, size =
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 08/15/2006 11:33:30
I've just recently cut over to Xorg from xsrc/X11R6.

Any clues about why Xorg is reporting this message? Some applications
(openoffice, ghostscript) are looking truly awful now. mis-drawn fonts
all over the place.

ipcs -M tells me the size being requested is well under the share
memory limits.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log has

XFree86-Bigfont extension: shmget() failed, size = 790528, errno = 12

# ipcs -M
IPC status from <running system> as of Tue Aug 15 11:32:03 2006

shminfo:
        shmmax: 8388608 (max shared memory segment size)
        shmmin:       1 (min shared memory segment size)
        shmmni:     128 (max number of shared memory identifiers)
        shmseg:     128 (max shared memory segments per process)
        shmall:    2048 (max amount of shared memory in pages)

#

cheers

-George