Re: USB support for APC UPSs?

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 03:31:41PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> (I'm trying to set a record for acronyms in the subject line...)
>
> Anyway -- has anyone gotten the USB support work in any of the UPS daemons
> in pkgsrc?  Last time I looked, the existing code was heavily tied to the
> Linux uhid framework, which seemed (to me) to be quite different than
> anything NetBSD had.

Joerg Sonnenberger gave me some patches and i changed it for the newer
version. That was done in March/April and I didn't update after that,
so beware that pkgsrc infrastructure changes could stop a build of it.
The modified pkgsrc/sysutils/apcupsd files can be found here:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/veego/apcupsd-3.12.2.tgz

There is an entry in pkgsrc/doc/TODO:

 o apcupsd-3.10.16 [requires threads, doesn't work with pth on 1.6]

1.6 is now EOL in pkgsrc. So it maybe time to update it.
Manuel, what do you think?

Btw, this is not the latest stable version and the rc.d start script
is not the best one. It misses some checks to prevent a startup if you
don't want to start it, but keep the file in /etc/rc.d

Oh, and you need a patch from the kern/31884, which I also put up
in the location of the apcupsd-3.12.2.tgz file: ups_kern#31884.patch
Apply it in src/sys/dev/usb and don't forget to regenerate the usbdevs.h
and usbdevs_data.h files by runing a 'make -f Makefile.usbdevs' in that
directory.
That patch stopped the multiple attachments for my apc ups.

Bernd