iconv problems converting 646 to UTF-8

Hi,

I recently did a number of package updates. When running mplayer, I now get hundreds of:

        iconv: conversion from 646 to UTF-8 unsupported

messages scrolling on the screen. When I try to run icewm, I get:

        IceWM: iconv doesn't supply (sufficient) 646 to Unicode converters.

I see that PR 26053 and 23979 may be somewhat related, but these are old now.

For IceWM, I can work around the problem by manually setting LANG or LC_ALL, but then the menus have no text (there is just white space where the text should be).

I don't normally play with any of the locale-related environment variables. Relevant (I hope) lines from my /etc/mk.conf:

        PREFER_PKGSRC+=zlib fontconfig Xft2 render iconv
        USE_BUILTIN.iconv=NO
        USE_BUILTIN.fontconfig=NO

Has anyone else noticed this?

--