Subject: PREFER_NATIVE "dependencies"??? (was Re: graphics/cairo build failure
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark E. Perkins <perkinsm@bway.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 07/23/2006 09:34:22
On 2006/07/23 09:20, Mark E. Perkins wrote:
> On 2006/07/23 09:03, Adam wrote:
>> [...]
>>> ld: Undefined symbols:
>>> _compress
>>> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
>>> *** Error code 1
>> Hello,
>>
>> Cairo has build for me today without a glitch.
>> Do you use pkgsrc zlib? I have PREFER_NATIVE+=zlib in my /etc/mk.conf.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adam
>
> I do not use pkgsrc zlib. When I add 'PREFER_NATIVE+=zlib' to /etc/mk.conf,
> and try to build cairo, I get
>
> ===> Creating toolchain wrappers for cairo-1.2.0nb2
> ERROR: iconv is not installed; can't buildlink files.
> *** Error code 1
>
> On a SWAG I tried 'PREFER_NATIVE+=libiconv', but I get the same failure. :(

Replying to myself.... the proper incantation is

	PREFER_NATIVE+=iconv

And now cairo builds without complaint. But that makes me wonder about how/why
various additions to PREFER_NATIVE depend on each other. More to the point,
how can I be sure that I have a "complete" set of PREFER_NATIVE+=foo ??

And while I'm confused and asking stupid questions, why is it that pango could
find my native libz without setting PREFER_NATIVE+=zlib ????

Mark