subset machinery for bulk pkgsrc builds

I'm still a bit confused about how to manage some of the bulk build machinery to build only a subset of pkgsrc. In particular, I'm unsure about which variables to set--and where/how they should be set. I've read and reread several chapters of "The pkgsrc guide", and I've done a modest amount of reading scripts. For context, I've been invoking the mk/bulk/build script from within a chroot created with pkg_comp (_not_ using the pkg_comp lists of packages to build). I've been using the stable pkgsrc branches (currently 2006Q2) on netbsd-3-0, architecture i386.

The pkgsrc guide mentions setting SPECIFIC_PKGS=1 in /etc/mk.conf, in which case the list of package directories is taken from several additional variables {SITE,HOST,GROUP,USER}_SPECIFIC_PKGS. But I can't tell from the guide whether those variables have to be set in /etc/mk.conf or in mk/bulk/build.conf. I've just wandered back into mk/defaults/mk.conf, which leads to me believe the former.

In mk/bulk/build.conf-example, there is a comment that says to set PKGLIST to a list of directories in order to build a subset of packages. That's the mechanism I've been using, but I've observed that it does not do a very good job with dependencies. Is that mechanism deprecated? Should a comment be added there to that effect?

Specific questions:

1. Am I right to infer that setting PKGLIST is (should be) deprecated in favor of the SPECIFIC_PKGS mechanism?

2. Is it possible to set SPECIFIC_PKGS and the *_SPECIFIC_PKGS from mk/bulk/build.conf, or must those be in /etc/mk.conf?

Thanks,
        Cary Gray
        Cary.G.Gray%wheaton.edu@localhost