Subject: Re: audio problems with -current/GCC4?
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 07/11/2006 11:11:03
Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com> writes:
> Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>> "John D. Baker" <jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com> writes:
>>
>>> In my case, I only used -march in my kernel config:
>>>
>>>     makeoptions    CPUFLAGS+="-march=athlon -mmmx -msse"
>>>

>> FYI, the kernel does not use floating point, and is not supposed to
>> use the floating point registers. I would suggest that there is no
>> point in setting -mmmx -msse etc in the kernel.
>>
>> Perry
>>

> AFAIK, MMX and SSE have _nothing_ to do with floating point.

Nothing at all? They use the floating point registers, and the
floating point registers can't be used inside the kernel. The issue is
not per se floating point ops (though getting a floating point
exception in the kernel would be a pain), it is the registers.

> maybe someone familiar with the i386 port can verify?

If you don't know the architecture, why are you commenting? :)

Perry