apache-tomcat

I have installed apache-tomcat and have some issues:
When I run /etc/rc.d/tomcat, it failed.

Some answer from Google tell me:
ulimit -d 262144

1) Must I add ulimit into /etc/rc.d/tomcat?
2) ulimit is command of /bin/sh, is there another equal command in csh?
3) when tomcat runs, there are more then 40 processes of java. Why so
many? every one use 34M memory, how to decrease processes?
4) /etc/rc.d/tomcat set JAVA_HOME to "", but I found that it couldn't
work unless I set it to /usr/pkg/java/sun-1.5.

thanks.