Subject: Re: Uninstalling a package and all its dependencies
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster@gmail.com>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@NetBSD.org>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 06/09/2006 15:58:37
On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 05:37:42PM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> >A more interactive method is wip/pkg_rmleaves (from FreeBSD).
>
> So I'd "pkg_delete gnome" first and then do pkg_rmleaves?

If you run pkg_rmleaves (without arguments), it will show you a list of
"leaf" packages, i.e., packages that are not dependencies for other
packages (for example gnome).  You can select zero or more of those
packages for deinstallation, and when they are deinstalled, the program
looks for leaf packages again, excluding those it had listed already.
So you get a list of leaf-packages-which-where-not-leaf-packages-before
(e.g., the dependencies of gnome which are not required by other
packages anymore), and you can select those for deletion again.  And so
on, recursively, until there are no new-leaf packages anymore.

	Geert