Subject: possible to create dummy packages?
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster@gmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 06/07/2006 17:15:29
Hi,

Say I am using pkgsrc on an OS which already has some of the software
provided by pkgsrc. For example, OpenBSD -- which already has perl5 as
part of its base software. Now, pkgsrc does not know that and so when
some application I am building thru pkgsrc requires perl5, pkgsrc will
download and install it -- resulting in me having two copies of perl5.

Is there any way I can avoid that? Maybe I can create a dummy package
in the pkgsrc database -- so pkgsrc is fooled into thinking perl5 has
been installed thru pkgsrc and wont build it again? Is that possible?
If yes, is it recommended I do that?

Or maybe should I just somehow try to remove the perl5 that is bundled
with OpenBSD. If yes, how do I do that? I did the obvious like move
all the perl* files in /usr/bin to another place, as well as all the
libperl* files in /usr/lib to another place -- but later on I find
there's more stuff in places like /usr/libexec/perl5 and so I wonder
where else things might be that I missed out. It doesn't seem a very
"neat" way of doing things ... just moving all the files manually
(which is why I was thinking of fooling pkgsrc instead). Also, when
upgrading OpenBSD later on, I'll have to keep track of repeating this
proceedure ... not very "neat" again.

How do people who use pkgsrc on systems other than NetBSD take care of
such situations?

Thanks,
Rakhesh

--
	NetBSD/i386 3.0 | pkgsrc-current | Toshiba Satellite L10-102
	http://search.gmane.org/?query=&group=gmane.os.netbsd.* (netbsd archives)