What does the "WRKOBJDIR" variable do?

Hi,

The pkgsrc user's guide [1] says:

"WRKOBJDIR: The top level directory where, if defined, the separate
working directories will get created, and symbolically linked to from
${WRKDIR} (see below). This is useful for building packages on several
architectures, then ${PKGSRCDIR}  can be NFS-mounted while
${WRKOBJDIR}  is local to every architecture. (It should be noted that
PKGSRCDIR should not be set by the user — it is an internal definition
which refers to the root of the pkgsrc tree. It is possible to have
many pkgsrc tree instances.)"

Could someone explain this for me please? I know WRKDIR refers to the
"work" subfolder inside the package directory, but what does WRKOBJDIR
refer to? How is it related/ different to WRKDIR?

Thanks,
Rakhesh

[1]
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/pkgsrc/configuring.html#variables-affecting-build

--
        NetBSD/i386 3.0 | Bluewall GNU/ Linux 1.2.2 | Toshiba Satellite L10-102
        http://search.gmane.org/?query=&group=gmane.os.netbsd.* (netbsd