Subject: Re: mailman group?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 06/01/2006 11:13:15
thus Hubert Feyrer spake:
> On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>> i'm trying to start a new mailman installation; wrt above discussion
>> about wrapper scripts and GIDs i ran into the problem that, build with
>>
>> MAILMAN_USER?=          mailman
>> MAILMAN_GROUP?=         mailman
>> MAILMAN_MAILGROUP?=     postfix
>>
>> (default for postfix)
>>
>> maillog says:
>>
>> Jun  1 10:48:15 blackjack-a postfix/pipe[5179]: 7513C3506F9:
>> to=<|/usr/pkg/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman@riscworks.net>,
>> orig_to=<Mailman-request@riscworks.net>, relay=cyrus, delay=0,
>> status=bounced (data format error. Command output:
>> |/usr/pkg/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman@riscworks.net: Bad
>> protocol )
>>
>> i get following error, when running failing instruction manually:
>>
>> /usr/pkg/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman@riscworks.net
>> Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
>> wrapper script to be executed as group "postfix", but
>> the system's mail server executed the mail script as
>> group "wheel".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
>> script as group "postfix", or re-run configure,
>> providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=wheel'.
>>
>> as it's no production system yet i tried building mailman with
>> MAILMAN_MAILGROUP?=     wheel
>> but then the above mentioned phenomenon turns 180 degrees, it wants to
>> be run as mailman...
>>
>> any clues?
>
> Not really. After the recent sendmail removal I've migrated to postfix,
> and it seems the proper MAILMAN_MAILGROUP there is 'nobody'.

okay, i'll give it a shot.

> At least
> that works for me. I use stock NetBSD postfix plus mailman,

my postfix is form pkgsrc as the machine runs NetBSD-3 and was set up
several months ago.

> I see that
> you have 'cyrus' in there, which I don't use.

well, that problem arises before cyrus comes into play...

> I've also never seen the
> "Bad procol" thing.

me neither; searching on the net yielded only very few results.

i'm almost sure it's a trivial issue with running the right GID, or not ;)

>  - Hubert

timo